Thursday, May 25, 2006

Why I don't tip anymore.

Posted by Lucas Green

Before you start getting pissed off or comparing me to Steve Buscemi let me say that I have been a server a few times. I know how hard it is and I know how appreciated tips are.
But you know what? I was a server in Louisiana where the wages earned are $2.13 per hour.
Now I live in Oregon where servers make minimum wage, which happens to be $7.50 per hour. If you're a server in Oregon then you will bring home, on a bad day, $60 in wages and $20 tips for a total of $80. While I, on the other hand, am making only $76 a day.
$80 is a very conservative figure. That assumes they only made $20 tips that day. A server can bring home upwards of $300 in tips in one night in certain restaurants.
But we'll take the meagerest of estimates and go with $80.

My next step involves a mathematical equation so I'll try to go slow.

$80 > $76

I'M NOT TIPPING YOUR RICH ASS

2 comments:

Hasphat said...

Holy crap! Minimum wage in Oregon is like maximum wage in Lousiana! Ridiculous.



my word verification is godrlsu, and I thought it said godruls.

oh wait... god ruls u ... I get it...

oh well

Anonymous said...

most servers don't work full eight hour shifts, though. that's something to consider.