Monday, November 14, 2005

Homework?

Posted by Lucas Green

So, I just got finished with a bit of homework.
Well for those who may not know but for some reason give a shit, I work as support staff in a group home for adults with developmental disabilities and mental retardation (for lack of a better diagnosis). I am also an advocate for one of the clients which means that in addition to my normal duties I handle specific needs for him.
For legal reasons I'll just say his name is Ethan.
Ethan is in his early 50's and diabetic but not insulin dependent so part of my advocate duties is to keep an eye on his diet. I just spent a few minutes researching healthy foods for him, specifically ones that are low in carbs and have a low GI (glycemic index). I have found some pretty good options and am looking forward to putting his new diet in action. I will also be purchasing a soymilk maker for him since soymilk is better for you than cow's milk and homemade soymilk has fewer carbs and a lower GI rating than store-bought soymilk. This purchase also helps another of my advocate duties because I am responsible for keeping his finances in order.
Purchasing this soymilk maker will be a good spend down for him because he can't have over $2,000 in his bank account or else he stops getting his social security checks and I've already got his account up to just over $1,900 with another check in his money pouch that I can't deposit until I've spent some of that.
Which brings me to the second part of my homework. I was researching hotels and activities in Newport, OR. I will be taking Ethan out to Newport to stay in a hotel for the weekend. This will be a good spend down for him because he pays for all the expenses like the hotel room and the aquarium and restaurants, etc. It will be a much needed draw on his bank account so I can finally deposit that check and I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun spending a weekend together. This also takes care of another one of my advocate duties: community outings. He's already looking forward to it.

Me: "You want to go to the coast and walk on the beach?"
Ethan: "Shall we?"
Me: "It's gonna be cold!"
Ethan: "It's gonna be coooold! Now, you laugh!"
Me: "HA HA HA"

I love my job.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

youre such a big fat faggot i love you.

soon we will love like men were meant to.

Anonymous said...

Laughing my ass off at Dillon's 2nd post!! Yeah, Dill, you are SO right about that!

Hey, I didn't know there was such a thing as a soymilk maker. Thanks for educating me. I clicked the add and read all about it. It would sure be nice to have one of those. Tell me, does the homemade soymilk taste as good as the storebought variety?

Lucas Green said...

it's definitly not going to taste the same, but there are all kinds of recipes out there to get it to taste like your favorite brand of store bought
they usually include adding a bit of sea salt and sugar or vanila extract, whatever

. said...

isn't this blog post evidence in your favor for some kind of investigation by the state?